Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) for Gender Affirmation is offered by triple board certified hormone replacement specialist, Dr. Sue Decotiis. The best in class Manhattan based hormone replacement doctor offers gender affirming hormone replacement therapy for Male-to-Female (MTF), Female-to-Male (FTM), non-binary, and gender neutral individuals.
Please note: We offer in-person and virtual consultations (from anywhere in the world) and medication can be prescribed virtually.
Dr. Decotiis is a highly trained hormone replacement therapy specialist doctor who works personally with each patient to deliver the best possible care in a state-of-the-art facility. The best in class top rated gender affirming hormone replacement therapy specialist doctor strictly follows the Standard of Care set forth by the World Professional Association of Transgender Health (WPATH). We encourage you to reach out to our Manhattan medical office to learn more about Gender Affirming Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT).
During your initial hormone replacement therapy consultation, your doctor will review your medical history and ensure you meet the necessary criteria required to begin hormone replacement therapy at our Manhattan, NY based hormone replacement therapy office. Each patient works directly with the gender affirming hormone replacement therapy specialist doctor to employ the best course of hormone replacement therapy treatment that best matches the patient’s gender identity and treatment goals.
**Gender affirming hormone replacement therapy may be given as an injection, pill, topical gel, or skin patch.
Feminizing Hormone Therapy
- Estrogen: Estrogen is a hormone that creates female / feminine physical features and when administered correctly, may promote feminizing physical features on the patient and feminize the chest area over time. Estrogen for feminizing hormone therapy comes in a variety of forms, though tablets are one of the most common methods (typically taken once daily).
- Testosterone Blockers: This form of treatment aims to block the body’s “androgens” which are associated with the presence of male / masculine physical features. Testosterone blockers help reduce masculine / male associated physical features over time.
- Progesterone: Progesterone may be employed as they have the ability to act as testosterone blockers.
Masculinizing Hormone Therapy
- Testosterone: Testosterone is typically given intramuscularly on a weekly basis to keep a consistent level of testosterone present in the body. Testosterone is also given through topical gels and patches (applied to the skin on a daily basis).
Each administration method yields similar results and each patient works directly with the gender affirming hormone replacement therapy specialist doctor to ensure optimal treatment comfortability and results.
The hormone replacement specialist doctor strictly follows the Standards of Care set forth by WPATH. To determine an individual’s eligibility for gender affirming hormone replacement therapy, a psychosocial evaluation and referral from a qualified health professional are necessary to begin the treatment.
According to the Standards of Care set forth by the World Professional Association of Transgender Health, a patient must meet the following criteria in order to determine eligibility:
- A persistent, well-documented history of gender dysphoria
- Capacity to make fully informed decisions and consent to medical treatment
- Age of majority
- Good control of significant medical / mental comorbid conditions
The top of the line New York based hormone replacement doctor works with each patient to create a gender affirming hormone replacement therapy treatment plan best suited for your goals, specifically in relation to any upcoming Gender Affirming procedures (if any at all).
Gender affirming hormone replacement therapy is not a necessary prerequisite to undergo any type of Gender Affirmation procedure though it is recommended, as gender affirming hormone replacement therapy may yield visible, more preferable results (change in breast tissue size, change in hair growth on body, etc.) for some patients.
Our triple board certified Gender Affirming Hormone Replacement Therapy specialist doctor typically recommends beginning gender affirming hormone replacement therapy at least 6 months before undergoing any type of Gender Affirming procedure. This allows results to become more visible / prominent prior to your Gender Affirming procedure.
If you have any questions about gender affirming hormone replacement therapy or would like to learn more about the NYC Gender Affirming Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) Specialist Doctor, please contact Sue Decotiis, MD at her NYC Hormone Replacement Therapy office for an in-person or virtual consultation.
Susan Decotiis, MD
20 E 46th St., #1201
New York, NY